Saturday, June 13, 2009

Running

Before I got pregnant with Kellen I had just started running. I fell in love with it and completed my first 5 and 10k's with my eye on the big 26 miler. But all came to a stop when I got pregnant. Well I've begun running again post pregnancy and literally have had to start from scratch. I'm making some progress though, slow but sure. And the past week the running conditions in Vegas have been perfect. So since no one is reading my blog these days, I thought I'd just run amuck and describe my ideal running environment, which to my great satisfaction have been possible the last few days.

Going to bed and 11 and waking from my uninterrupted sleep ready to run by 7. I pop some peppermint gum into my mouth and step outside into the low 70's. There is a light cloud coverage, not overcast, but blocking the burning hot rays of the sun. A light almost tropcial breeze is blowing, just enough that the palm trees swaying can almost convince you that the ocean will appear over the next hill. My ipod is shuffling through my workout playlist and landing on only my very favorite songs. I'm not following any premeditated route but running as far and as long as my body will keep going. My breathing is even and my mind is clear. The sweat lightly rolls from my forehead, just enough to coat my lips with a salty cover like sea water. When I finally round the corner onto Amulet St. my running slows and I know I'll be able to handle anything the day brings.

By the way, this little device has completly changed my running. I highly recomend it.

8 comments:

Jaime said...

I have been loving this running weather as well! I hope it continues for a little longer!

JasonDebbie said...

Our weather has been nice too. Except that I don't run.:) I admire people that do because I seriously can't go more than 5 minutes without wanting to die! Good job! And I'm jealous about you going to hawaii! We're planning a trip to Maui for next summer, we debated between maui and kauai and decided to go to maui this time, I'm excited!!

Anonymous said...

People read your blog, Jana. :) What is that device? I can't tell what it is, but nothing surprises me because I am always behind when it comes to technology. I'm glad you are letting loose and going for your daily runs to help start the day. Keep at it!

Katie said...

I love your blog, Jana! Seriously, I've read Ode to Redrock so many times it feels like I've been there.

Good for you for running! It's on my list of Things I Should Do, But Don't.

Alicia H said...

Just for the record...I blog stock you about everyday waiting for you to post something so I can know what is going on. Because heaven forbid I pick up the phone and talk to you. OH Well!

Allyson said...

I need to get back to running!! i have been putting it off. I had planned to do it when carter turned 1 well....that has come and gone and i still haven't started. GOOD FOR YOU!

Chelsea said...

Jana, I just got the Nike ipod thing and I am so excited to try it out. I am totally back into the running thing after a little break because of the craziness at school and everything, but yesterday i actually got back to 5 miles. I will run a marathon some day. Lets do it together!!!

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

so good to see you this week Jana. Sorry it was under the circumstances it was. you did so well. I love you. And running, awesome. We'll have to do a relay someday, what do you think? What is the device anyway you talked about?