Sunday, March 15, 2009

No More Daytime TV

Since I spend a good chunk of the day nursing Kellen I've found myself also watching a good chunk of daytime TV while I'm feeding him. And it pretty much stinks. But whats worse is a few weeks ago, thanks to a certain 3 year old, our tv audio got changed to SAP and we can't figure out how to change it back. As an exciting result many of the tv shows I used to watch are now in spanish. So I've had to find new things to watch like crazy infomercials found on obscure channels that I guess don't cater to hispanics. This has caused two problems:
First, its made me realize my kids are very behind in their life skills.
Has anyone seen "Your baby can read." It has 1 year olds reading words like, 'apple and gorilla'. Well Olivia is still trying to sing her ABC's and pronounce 'm' and 'n' as two seperate letters instead of one letter pronounced 'emen'. Then there's a crazy trend to forgo diapers from birth and begin potty training right away. These crazy women watch their newborns body language and rush them to a potty....newborns sitting on the toilet! One woman claimed her 7 month old was completley potty trained. Well Kellen is already behind on this life skill.
The Second bad thing day time TV has done is given me a crazy urge to spend money on things like 'Snuggies and Shammy's."
So tonight I've decided I'm going to try and not watch any TV when I'm feeding Kellen and instead read. I just requested a big pile of books from the library and hope the draw of 'the wonder hanger' doesn't pull me back.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so funny. I hope you find something exciting to read. Try Anne of Green Gables. It's a sweet read and will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Jilyan said...

I too have a need for a good book to read. So if you find one, let me know. I say if you have to watch tv go with TLC, what not to wear and the house flipping show would be great in any language!Hugs!

JasonDebbie said...

I saw that reading thing on tv too, its crazy. It might actually work too maybe, but I don't have time with 3 kids to be showing my baby flash cards all day long and saying all these words to them constantly. Maybe I'm a bad mother but I can barely get enough done all day and still have time to read a book or two to them! I'm sure our kids will be smart anyways, I don't think our mothers were flash-carding us when we were babies and we both got into college.:)

The Piet Girls said...

I am too tempted by the ShamWow and the Snuggie to watch Daytime TV too. Dang those infomercials. Don't teach your baby to read or be potty trained any earlier than they are ready. They grow up too fast as it is. We all catch up in the end anyway right?

Alan said...

That is hilarious! I'll never be able to watch the snuggie comercial again without thinking of you! Ahh, that makes me laugh...

Beth (just too lazy to sign in)

Alan said...

Jana-

Don't knock it until you try it. Beth says they are supper comfortable.

Katie said...

Okay, am I the only one who called a wedgie a snuggie growing up? You know, when your undies are all in a bunch. It's a snuggie, or it was when I was little. My siblings and I used to chase each other around the house yelling "Snuggie time in Snuggie City!" And don't the folks in the red ones look a little like monks, with the collar and the robes? Too funny

Allyson said...

theo got me a snuggie for christmas as a joke and it is SO big on me that i never use it but i did use it 1 time while watching tv and it was ok.
but ya know what really works it the wipe away hair thing....it takes forever to get the hair off your legs but it works. ha ha ha
don't worry about your kids not reading and peeing in the toilet! everyone eventually learns it.

Katie said...

I'm more worried about my kids peeing outside the toliet, but then again I have two boys.

Angie said...

i have to admit that when i saw the commercials for the snuggie i thought how ridiculous! but then i found out they are selling like mad! there may be something to them.

good luck with the no-tv thing. how is your book coming along?! when you have the time, right?...