Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baby Kellen and Recovery

Today has been the first day I've felt normal enough to do anything "extra". Recovery this time around has been very difficult for me. I think with the other births I didn't have the same demands.....two other children that need to be places, a house, a busy calling and a husband that works 12 hour days. For some reason I've had alot of anxiety about doing it all this time and seriously didn't get any sleep for way too many days. Things are getting easier everyday. Nursing is always hard for me. I don't know if it's because of the c-section but it takes along time for me to figure it out and make it work. I just read on the news that a woman in California gave birth to 8 babies and is going to try and breast feed them. I feel like a wimp when I read that. We'll just keep working on it. I have had wonderful help from my parents, my in-laws and the ward for which I am so grateful. Here are a few pics....nothing spectacular I need my sister-in-law Nicole to come get some great ones for me. Warning....there may be blood involved in some of them Beware!
THis is me leaving the OR and going to a recovery room. I look terrible but that is pretty much how you feel after surgery. Luckily the 'shakes' and hot flashes hadn't started yet or that would have been a real treat of a picture

Kellen Van Went

The girls love him to death. They fight over who gets to hold him,kiss him, even yes, wipe his bum!
This is the DR holding him up over the screen for me to see for the first time.

This is him all the way out of my tummy.

And this is his head just being pulled out. Yes that flabby orange stuff is my stomach. And yes that is the big gapping hole they cut in it to pull him out.

THis is Joe prepping for surgery. He is very squirmish about blood and guts but he always is so great in the OR.

Except he almost missed the birth this time. I was scheduled to go at 12:30 but got pushed back because of an emergency c-section. They told us it would be at least another hour. So JOe left to get something to eat and seriously five minutes later they came and got me. I tried calling his cell but there was no coverage in the hospital. I was in the OR they were almost done prepping me and my DR finally found Joe.


8 comments:

Nicole B. said...

He is such a cutie!! I wish we were closer so I could help out a little. We need to try and figure a time to do some photos.

Get lots of rest and hopefully you will keep recovering ok

JasonDebbie said...

He looks like you I think. I love those pictures, i love the blood and guts thing and we didnt get any photos of the baby coming out of my during the c-section or anything so its interesting to see that. And jason totally almost missed it too. They had him wait outside while I got the spinal and forgot about him!! I finally asked when they were going to get him, and they ran out and got him right as they were about to start. I was really annoyed by that. And they never told me they were starting or that the baby was about to come out, and they didnt hold her up over the curtain or anything I was annoyed with the whole thing. But anyways, he is cute and you are a good mom!:)

i'm erin. said...

Wow Jana! congrats on the new baby, he is adorable. I love the pictures of him coming out...kind of gross, but totally cool.

Shannon & Summer said...

Oh gosh, that looks rough. And, I'm sure it is what I can expect for myself in a few months from now. I am glad you say it like it is, because everyone else tells me it will be great and fine...
anyway, i hope you are healing and doing OK.

Allyson said...

those are great photos. I wish i had some delivery ones!

Alan said...

Joe and Jana-

Congrats! The pictures are awesome. I can't wait to trade Dad point of view C-Section stories with Joe.

Angie said...

Whoa. This was a little much for me. Not really, but those ARE pretty crazy pictures. I hope you are feeling a little better and getting some help from friends in the area. I'll be thinking of you. Kellen is really a beautiful little guy.

fijiangirl said...

Congratulations Jana... If you don't know who I am check out my blog. I am sure you will recognize me. I lurke sometime on yours... but I wanted to tell you that the crazy lady who just gave birth to the 8 babies, already has 6 at home I think all under the age of 9 and no husband. You are doing GREAT